Swimming at Hillside
Swimming is not only a vital life skill, it is also a compulsory part of the National Curriculum. All children by the end of Key Stage 2 should be able to:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
We have reorganised provision this year to ensure all children in Key Stage 2 go swimming. There are spaces for thirty children for each half-hour session so we have started to take additional children from other classes to ensure that the percentage of children meeting National Curriculum standards increases. For example, additional children from Year 3 (those for whom additional sessions will lead to them meeting the standard) will accompany Year 4 children on their lessons. In other words, there is a commitment to ensuring that children who have not reached the National Curriculum standard will receive additional lessons.
Swimming dates for this academic year 2017/2018 are:
- Year 6 - week beginning 16th October 2017;
- Year 5 - week beginning 16th April and 23rd April 2018 (pre-teach lessons week beginning 26th March 2018);
- Year 4 - week beginning 19th March and 26th March 2018 (additional lessons 16th April and 23rd April 2018);
- Year 3 - week beginning 13th November 2017 (additional lessons week beginning 19th March 2018).
Please encourage and support your children to learn to swim. We are noticing an increase in the number of children who are not able to meet the National Curriculum requirements.
Swimming statistics for 2017 -2018
17% of Year 6 met National Curriculum standards (Level 2 or higher)
Not yet attended swimming % of Year 5 are currently meeting National Curriculum standards
Not yet attended swimming % of Year 4 are currently meeting National Curriculum standards
0% of Year 3 are currently meeting National Curriculum standards